Don't Wish for Less Problems, Wish for More Skills.

- Jim Rohn

Monday, January 11, 2010

The First Weekend: Record Snow

To All,

I've made it through the first weekend in Brussels. A lot has happened, but the most momentous is the record snow in Europe. Ireland got two feet, and we got six inches. Not only is it the first time that it has snowed in Brussels in four years, but it is the most that some locals have seen in almost a decade. I went running last night and saw one individual cross country skiing in the park.

Living in Europe is a big shock. Everything is different. Food, transportation, road signs, etc. I've been loving it all. I've decided to assimilate as much as possible. Luckily, my French has been a luxury. There has been plenty of times where the CUBC group needed to talk with a local, and my french has made me the official translator, haha. I'm starting to really figure my way around the city.

Brussels is an interesting city. I've seen a few tourist landmarks, like the Grand Place, as well as a little of the nightlife. There is so much in the city that I still need to see. The people have been really friendly.

I've gotten to know a few of the students in my program really well. Luckily, my apartment is the biggest, so people seem to meet up here!

Until Later,

NP

4 comments:

  1. Hey Nils. I'm glad you're having a great time in Brussels. I was in Brussels back in early November and I was hoping I would get to see some snow during my time in Europe, but it never snowed while I was there. I left after the first week of December and I was told it began snowing two days later.

    Good luck with everything and enjoy your time over there. Travel as much as you possibly can and practice your French as much as possible. It sounds like you've already started that.

    Be sure to visit Paris! It's my favorite.

    à bientôt,

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nils, its Matt Theisen from DSP. I've been reading your blog and am glad you're having a great time in Brussels. I really want to go there some day. Do me a favor and please take advantage of the time of year it is. It is the height of soccer season and there are some awesome matches coming your way. Especially in the Champions League. I promise you'll have fun with it.

    Also, I noticed you're signing with "NP" at the end of your blogs. May I suggest adding the initial of your middle name to the end of it? It may seem sort of pretentious but if you've seen the Harold and Kumar movies with NPH, I'm sure you'll understand. And if you haven't then you really need to. Have fun buddy, studying abroad is amazing!

    Matt Theisen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Nils !

    Your updates are so interesting! Wonder how long the snow will last. I received pictures from Ghislaine in southern France, and they were snowed in there as well - - a true rarity. Anyway, bet it is very pretty to look at.

    Keep us posted - -and have a great time !

    Love, Aunt Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nils

    I hope all is well and you're enjoying your new year in Europa! Looks like you're having a blast in Belgium so far. Definitely take advantage of your time over there, as these will be times you never forget. Meet as many people as you can, I'm sure you'll have no problems with that!

    I'm hoping to be on that side of the pond for about a week in the Spring or Summer, but I'm not sure if our visits will match up. I hope that when you make it back stateside you can come and visit me in NYC.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your updates, and hopefully we can Skype some too. Keep in touch my friend, and try and live it up!

    Colin

    ReplyDelete