Don't Wish for Less Problems, Wish for More Skills.

- Jim Rohn

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Trip to ... Brussels? Locals and Aussies


I did not have any grand adventure through some historical part of Europe, nor did I ski the Alps. I had a pretty slow weekend (compared to past trips). Nonetheless, I had a few events worth publishing on my blog.

I had decided to take the weekend off from adventure so that I could unwind a little and become more grounded in the city I apparently am studying in (who knew?). Up until this weekend, I had spent more time in other cities than I had in Brussels. Hence, the title of the blog post, a trip to Brussels.

That being said, this weekend was by far the most relaxing weekend I have had in a long time. I enjoyed working out, reading, watching movies, as well as going out with friends. I got to do at least one P90X workout a day, as well as a six mile run on Sunday. I finished reading "The 4-Hour Work Week" by Timothy Ferriss, and have started reading "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson. But, that was not the highlight of my weekend...

There were two occasions that happened that were extra-ordinary. First, I hung out with some local university students along with a few other CUBC students. We met up with a guy named Lionel, and went to his apartment to hang out with him and his close friends. We enjoyed learning more about each other's cultures, as well as learning more about ourselves.

The second occasion was the arrival of two Australians to our apartment. We met two girls, Tiffany and Candace, in Prague. We got to know them pretty well while there. Charlie kept in contact with the girls as they travelled to Amsterdam after we left Prague. After a few Facebook messages, Tiffany and Candace decided to swing through Brussels for a night before going to Paris. We picked them up from Central Station and brought them back to our apartment. Along the way, we joked about Prague, and the ridiculous sports they play in Australia (Netball and Australian Football). A few other CUBC students meandered over to hang out with us and the two Aussies. We spent most of the night at our apartment, but at around midnight everyone except me went to a club. After some needed sleep, the six of us (the four in the house and the two Australians) went downtown to enjoy some lunch and the sights. We took the girls to our favorite kebab restaurant close to La Grand Place. We then showed them around the city until the Aussies had to board their train to Paris.

All in all, I think that the joys of traveling is finding a niche and enjoying it. This weekend proved to be special not because of the sights or sounds of a new city, but rather spending quality time with interesting people. Staying in one city for a while and discovering the nooks and crannies is what makes life enjoyable.

To Everyone, do not settle for what you have if you think it is subpar at best. Find something you really enjoy and live it! I am happy to have this experience abroad. I don't want to ever leave.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to receive the update, Nils. We miss you terribly. Would love to Skype sometime???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nils,
    It is great to hear that you got a chance to hang out in Brussels for the weekend. I think that as you grow older you will learn to appreciate more weekends just like this one! (sorry for sounding like an old person!!)

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 hour work week, what a classic. I have read it multiple times. Also Ausies are the best!! Sounds like a blast bud! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete